Melanesia is a sub-region of Oceania extending from the western end of the Pacific Ocean to the Arafura Sea, and eastward to Fiji. The region consists of the four countries of: Vanuatu, Solomon Islands Fiji Papua New Guinea. Wikipedia
There will be some cultural sensitivities that you might want to familiarize yourself with before you plan your journey here so you arrive fully prepared.
Ensure you check travel warnings for some remote parts as there are occasionally ethnic conflicts in some areas of Papua New Guinea.
- Hike the Kokoda Track – nearly 100km long through rugged terrain in Papua New Guinea. Allow 4-10 days
- Take in a Goroka show – a colourful tribal gathering
- Explore the jungles throughout Melanesia
- Climb Mt Yasur to watch the fiery volcanic display – Tanna Island – Vanuatu
- Sail to Marovo Lagoon – part of the Solomon Islands
- Dive in the Narmena Lagoon – Fiji
- Hire a 4WD and circum-navigate Vanua Levu, the second largest island in Fiji
- Take a rafting tour with Rivers Fiji
- Hike through the jungles of Solomon Islands exploring the waterfalls
- Island hop around Fiji’s islands